Tuesday 1 October 2013

3 things I'm rubbish at


1.) My phone


I am constantly losing my phone, around the house/hidden in bags/buried in a doona, and like most people with this issue, I do so when it's on silent and about to run out of battery.
And that's another point, I hardly ever charge the damn thing, so it's basically always about to go flat.
I don't really mind this strangely enough, as sometimes it's quite liberating to be out and be uncontactable. Like the days of my youth... (Saying this at only 25 actually sickens me. Don't worry, I'll punch myself later).
Remember those days? Where you'd go out to the shops with your mates, and pretend you were cool whilst loitering in the food court, and you would only know that you were in trouble once you got home and received a smack over the head? No one could interrupt your fun.
The bigger gripe from my peers however, is that if my phone is actually charged, there is no guarantee I will answer it. If I hear it ringing in another room and I'm doing something important, like helping the kids, cooking, cleaning, or laying down (naps are vital at my age *slap*), I will not rush to answer it.
I will let it ring out. I operate on the belief system that if it is important, they will either leave a message, or call straight back. This irritates Luke on such a profound level, it actually makes him anxious.
If he sees me blatantly ignoring my ringing phone, for example when I'm on the couch watching a movie with the kids, he gets frustrated and starts the, "Why aren't you answering your phone?" line of questioning. Evidently the answer of, "I'm busy" doesn't cut it with him, because then he will launch into the "But, you don't do that to me, do you?" section of the conversation, and undoubtedly look disappointed when I say, "No. Well, unless I'm busy."
Cuddling with my kids classifies as being busy to me. I understand it doesn't to others, but as they say on every American sitcom - that's not my problem.

2) Remembering  Birthdays

Honestly, I have such a terrible memory for numbers, that if it wasn't for FaceBook birthday reminders, I don't think I would ever know anybodies day of birth, age, or party arrangements.
I have been hung out to dry on multiple occasions for forgetting my parents' birthdays, and they have only just accepted the fact that if you do not remind me, I will forget. If you're not going to have your birthday on Facebook, then make sure someone else reminds me a few days before hand, otherwise you will not be receiving a phone call.
But don't think this is just a spoilt child syndrome affecting my ability to remember. Don't think for a second that my sub conscience just isn't trying hard enough because it's my parents.
Cause here's a dirty little secret; I have forgotten my daughters birthday. Twice. My daughters date of birth (as well as my sons) is tattooed on my arm. My lower arm. Where I look everyday. DOB right there. Even the time of birth.
And yet for two years in a row, I was making rushed trips to the shops around lunch time to by cupcakes and dolls, after being embarrassingly reminded by either my Mum, or Ex-Husband that I was meant to be celebrating my darling daughter getting a year older.
Pretty pathetic, but also true. Numbers just will not stick in my head.

3)  Organisation

From arranging a time for someone to meet for a coffee at my place, to planning a huge night out with multiple people, destinations, and modes of transport - I suck.
I come from the it will all just fall together school of thought, and the awesome thing is, it normally does.
However, it has been somewhat strongly (via exasperated grumbles) suggested to me that the reason these things 'just happen' is because every body else involved make them happen.
I never know what time an event is happening, who is attending, or what I am meant to bring.
I will, however, know if I have enough money left to buy a cask of wine for said occasion - classy!
I maintain that if you don't make plans, they cant get ruined....which is fine when all others involved operate the same way, but less acceptable when some of your besties are fierce planners.
My answers to the generic 'when, where, with whom, how much, how to get there' usually go something like 'after dinner, in the city, with some people, not expensive, don't know yet.'
Annoying your mates is one thing, but Luke is a brutal planner. A brutal procrastinator yes, but planner none the less. If we are going out, he can't stand not having a planned time to leave. This, needless to say, clashes greatly with my 'we will leave when we're ready' mode of operation.

I did try to get organised once - I purchased a diary. You know the kind, one of those handbag sized yearly planners? It was pink, and I always kept it in my bag.
Throughout that year I only used the thing twice; once to write in a doctors appointment (which, hilariously, I missed as I hadn't thought to check the damn thing, and since upon writing the appointment down, I had immediately put it out of my mind, thinking I didn't need to actively remember it, because it was in my diary), and then one final time, to write down the details of the other person when I was involved in a car accident.
Evidently, this exercise was a colossal fail on my part.

I am very lucky though. Between my Mum, Luke, and the more neurotically organised of my peers, I am always set on the right track.
And maybe having someone who is so carefree in their peer circles is a good thing?
Maybe I am a breath of fresh air from all the strict and vigilant planning?

And if not....well, that's what I intend to keep telling myself anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment